This week, Personal Trainer and Coach Amber shares her tips for staying motivated in the gym and towards her fitness goals. Hopefully it helps you set your goals this spring.
1. SET A GOAL!
- There is no better way to get mentally prepared for your workout then to have a goal in mind! MIND OVER MATTER!
- Make a goal that is SPECIFIC: What do I want to accomplish? When do I want to accomplish this goal? Which way(s) am I going to do it? Where am I going to accomplish this? (RESULTS) and Why do I want to accomplish this?
- Make a goal that is MEASURABLE: Frequently check your status by first looking in the mirror. Check how your clothes fit! Use the scale but check into the little numbers not just over all weight! (Full Body Analysis with a RESULTS Coach)
- Make a goal that is ATTAINABLE: Think small targets! Think short term! In the end those little steps create a consistent and long term goal that is more than in the the bag!
- Make a goal that is REALISTIC: Different that attainable! Realistic ways of reaching goals is what your schedule, your current body condition, and your confidence may allow! Most importantly: Be HONEST with yourself! Do not drastically make changes, it’s not realistic
- Make a goal that is TIMELY: Setting a time frame makes the goal make sense! Your timeline will give you a sense of urgency as well as a consistent plan!
2. POSITIVE ATTITUDE!
- Talk to yourself in your head or out loud during a workout or heading to the gym!
- EXAMPLE: “Come on, you can do this!”, “You want this! Do this for yourself!”
- NEVER MAKE EXCUSES!
- EXAMPLE: “I’m too tired”, “I’ll start tomorrow”
- Know that your hard work will pay off! See it in your RESULTS!
3. SNAG A WORKOUT PARTNER!
- Great way to make yourself accountable!
- Makes the workouts fun and more appealing!
- CHALLENGE your partner because they will challenge YOU!
- Know that they will never cheat you out of a great workout and reaching those Goals!
- Find someone that fits your fitness GOALS!
OTHER WAYS OF MOTIVATION:
- IPOD- Rock the tunes!
- SWITCH UP YOUR WORKOUTS- Take classes, change up intervals and styles!
- SET A WORKOUT TIME ON CARDIO- set it, stick to it, reach it! look for the finish line!
- NEVER SAY “I CAN’T”- because you can!
- WRITE IT AND POST IT- Put your goal somewhere you will see every day!
- SET A SCHEDULE- Make a calendar and put it right next to your goal!
- TELL PEOPLE ABOUT YOUR GOAL- you never want to fail in front of others so don’t!
Make sure to say hi to Coach Amber and all of the other coaches in Sacramento’s best 24 Hour Gym, group and personal training center!